How to Find Investors for Your Business

| March 1, 2008 | 6 Replies

business men discussing proposal

Ryan Allis, CEO of marketing and online communications firm iContact Corp., shares some interesting lessons on how to attract investors for your business in his new book “Zero to One Million: How I Built a Company to $1 Million in Sales … and How You Can, Too.”

According to Allis, to increase your chances of venture capitalists investing in your business, you must:

• Venture capital funding is ideal if you are looking to raise $500K and up and you have a business in the following areas: technology, biotechnology, energy or consumer goods space with a potential return greater than $50 million in the next five years
  • To maintain a good portion of ownership for your business, yoi need to have a high valuation before you accept the funding.
  • Be introduced by someone they know. With thousands of proposals and business plans they receive, you stand a better chance if you have been refered by someone these VCs know and trust. Find other entrepreneurs these venture companies have funded before who can recommend you. Or other investors they’ve done deals with or lawyers they’ve worked with in the past. They don’t want “unreferred plan” (much like the unsolicited book proposals for publishers).
  • VCs generally look at your capacity for entrepreneurial leadership, the ability of your business to attract talent, relevant industry experience of the team, as well as marketing and sales orientation.

Whether you are looking for venture capitalists or angel investors for your business, be sure to have:

• A solid business plan;
  • Experienced advisors
  • Team with market knowledge that has proven it can execute

What Allis said in his book rings oh-so-true:

“It can be difficult to obtain funding for your business as an aspiring entrepreneur. Many times you’ll have to present to dozens of banks and investors before you can find someone willing to fund you. Other times, you’ll have to bootstrap the company and grow it organically as your sales grow.”

Tags:

Category: Book Reviews, Business Strategy, Startup Tips

About the Author ()

Isabel Isidro is a small business owner who writes about her experiences in starting and running a business. She is the co-founder of PowerHomeBiz.com and also runs WomenHomeBusiness.com

Comments (6)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Anonymous says:

I have a bussiness idea that has potential of producing at least 73 million units a year , In the US alone . This also includes updating older modles by say 2013 . I am only 16 years old , My mother has worked very hard just to give me a good normal life . I need investment help . I have the inventions & the ability to predict the needs of the future .

2. MikesHgBand says:

I need investers
    What I have is a new website HomeGrownBands.com
    It is set up as an interactive site in comparison to “My Space”
    But with some superb differences, it is set up solely for the music industry
    Bands, fans and where they play
    I am currently finding volunteer writers throughout the United States to write on their Local music scene. Our goal is to average over one million visits a day by the end of the year. We need operating capitol to get everything going full speed. Interested parties contact
    Mike@HomeGrownBands.com

3. cristin says:

My name is Chris, and im 16 years old. I have a great idea of producing a show in las Vegas, but I will be in the need of investors.

4. Gary says:

How about having a great adventure with potential profits of $192,000,000 – $492,000,000 in the search for lost gold coin hoards on farms from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s in the midwest U.S. I am a historical researcher with over 40 years experience.

5. Chester says:

I’m engineer and I’m looking for investor to begin production with gross monthly sale 4M.

6. businessMinded08 says:

Hi There,

I have built my company from scratch and have done everything I could do, I have lots of followers now and I must say experience. I just need fund to keep it going. It’s like I have the car, but there’s no gas. I am a fashion designer with great education from top school, lots of followers, a great business plan, some stores carrying my line. I need to do things the right way, and hire the right people and not do everything myself now that I’ve learned all the basics in running everything. I have great contacts and connections. I’m ready to fly.

I need showroom/PR/ Solid manufacturing house etc. Please email me if interested in investing. I need 80k – 100K

I am based in NY, USA